BC Wheelchair Sports is seeking a program staff person with primary responsibility for Wheelchair Rugby programming and events, including oversight of athlete, coach and officials development, and tournament hosting. Additional program responsibilities will include the ‘Bridging the Gap’ (BTG) recruitment and retention program, BCWSA Wheelchair Loan Program, special events, community partnerships and other programs and services as required.
This is a full-time position, based out of the BCWSA in Vancouver, however during the COVID-19 pandemic, BCWSA staff are working primarily from home. The successful candidate will report to the Executive Director. For information regarding the sport of wheelchair rugby and BCWSA’s Vision, Mission, Values and Strategic Plan visit our website.
Position Program Coordinator * This position has the potential to develop into a management position depending on the skills and attributes of the successful applicant.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Wheelchair Rugby Program Delivery - Work directly with coaches, athletes,
- officials, clubs and partner organizations to develop and deliver wheelchair rugby programming including annual planning, new program/regional development, training camps and clinics, competition, provincial team program, equipment, sport science and medicine, coach and officials development.
- Return to Sport - Manage the Return to Sport process for Wheelchair Rugby according to Provincial/viaSport and BCWSA guidelines.
- Event Management – Lead and/or support the organization of the Vancouver Invitational and Canada Cup International Wheelchair Rugby Tournaments including: sport technical, registration, facilities, organizing committee, volunteers, team communication, officials, food services, transportation, accommodations, ceremonies, medical services, promotions, awards and data management.
- Bridging the Gap-Getting Physically Active Program – Support program delivery including athlete recruitment, introductory programs, Have a Go Days, peer mentors, equipment, community partnerships and awareness events.
- Partner Communication and Alignment – Work with local, provincial and national partners to ensure ongoing communication and alignment of programs, including Wheelchair Rugby Clubs, BC Wheelchair Rugby Association and Wheelchair Rugby Canada. Work closely with performance partners including viaSport and the Canadian Sport Institute Pacific.
- Strategic Planning, Budgeting and Reporting – Work with the Program Manager/Coordinators and Executive Director to develop strategic plans, budgets and ensure all reporting data and information is tracked and submitted
- to funders and partners as required.
- BCWSA Wheelchair Loan Program – Lead and/or support the delivery of the BCWSA Wheelchair Loan Program
- Club Grant and Athlete Assistance Programs – Administer granting programs, including application process and selection
- Fund Development – Support the delivery of the Push 4 Impact event including liaison with coaches, table officials, referees, and coordination of equipment; liaise with event related sponsors.
- General Administration duties related to the position
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Qualifications & Experience
- A degree in Sport Administration or related field, or equivalent experience in sport programming, athlete and coach development
- Event Management/Hosting experience
- Budget Development and Reporting Experience
- Experience working with people with physical disabilities is an asset
- Experience working in the BC or Canadian sport system is an asset
- Knowledge of sports wheelchairs or bicycle mechanics is an asset
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- Ability to foster and maintain effective professional relationships
- Experience with Windows based programs including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Must be able to work efficiently, independently and be able to multi-task in a high performing environment
- Must be available to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends and in event-based environments, some travel required
- Must be willing to have a Criminal Record Check and complete the BCWSA Screening Process
- Class 5 driver’s license
- Class 4 driver’s license is an asset
- Commensurate with experience
- Benefit package available
Deadline for application: September 30th, 2020
Start Date: October 19th, 2020
SUBMIT COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO: BC Wheelchair Sports, Gail Hamamoto, Executive Director
email@example.com, 604 333 3520 x201.
BC Wheelchair Sports Association welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. BCWSA is an equal opportunity employer.
Note: Only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted